JellyPages.com

Featured post

My New Disney Corner 新しいディズニーコーナー。

As you may know, a few months ago, my husband and I moved to a new apartment. The apartment we live in now is much bigger than the old one, ...

Tuesday 21 October 2014

My Disney Story

I thought that maybe I could tell you all a little bit about my Disney history.

I have loved Disney since, and this is going to sound cliché, before I can remember. I always loved the movies. And, when I was five years old, I got the opportunity to visit Disneyland, California with my family!

My Dad and I in my Disney Nursery
I remember a lot about the trip, despite how young I was. My favourite memory though would be of meeting Mickey Mouse. I loved him very much, and I was the only one out of my siblings and I who wasn't scared of him. So, up I went, and gave him a big eskimo kiss (you know, when you rub your noses together?). 

When we were there, it was Christmas time, so there were special decorations and costumes and parades. It was very cold, but I was having too much fun to notice I think.

Throughout my childhood and teen years I continued to love Disney. But, not as much as I do now. I went through a lot of difficulty during this time. I was bullied and ostracised at school, and developed depression. Watching Disney movies always cheered me up.

I met my husband when I was 16. Life started to look up. I was still struggling with my depression, but he made it so much easier.

One birthday, because I enjoyed Disney so much, Luke bought me Kingdom Hearts. I had a lot of fun playing it, and I think that this is about the time my love of Disney really started to grow. I even managed to win a game of trivia for my group thanks to a question about Donald Duck.
Luke as the Mad Hatter, and me as Alice, at our wedding

Luke and I got married on the 5th of October, 2013. We had an Alice in Wonderland themed wedding (I would have loved to have a wedding at Disney, but living in Australia, that is quite difficult). It was beautiful, and a lot of fun. Our celebrant even wore rabbit ears (as she was the White Rabbit).

In February, 2014, Luke and I went to Tokyo for two weeks for our honeymoon. I study Japanese language and culture, and really wanted to visit. Four days out of that two weeks, we were at Tokyo Disney Resort (alas, we could not afford to stay on property). I had an amazing time there. I think, that if I had known more Japanese, I probably could have made some good friends there!

While watching the Electrical Lights Parade on our first night at Disneyland, we managed to get a spot to sit right at the front, outside the Gag Factory, at the end of the parade route. We got the perfect view! But, the girl next to me was amazing! She was sitting on a Disney mat, she had a Disney lanyard on her massive camera, she had Disney straps and plushies all over her bag, and she had one of those light up Mickey wands. When she wasn't taking photos and waving at her favourite characters, she was clapping along to the entire parade! I think we probably have a lot in common!

We were there in Winter, and it was freezing. But, just like when I was a kid, I was having way too much fun to even notice (though, I did have to wear long johns and extra thick socks in my ugg boots). While we were at Tokyo Disney Resort, they were celebrating their 30th anniversary too! So, we got to see lots of exclusive decorations, costumes, menus and merchandise! It was really exciting.

Back in Australia, by my 24th birthday I was diagnosed with arrhythmia, fibromyalgia, scoliosis, Shermann's disease, and hypermobility. I had suffered from these for years, but finally learned what was going on. 

Luke is very supportive of me, as is my family, but on days when I just need a little bit extra to get by, Disney provides it for me. 

I will make more posts in the future about my Disney trips, and also about meeting Bill Farmer at Sydney Comic Con this year! I hope that you continue to experience the Disney magic!!!

Becky.

No comments:

Post a Comment